Ready-made safety checklist for managers
Safety starts and ends with managers. Whether you’re a Site Manager, Team Leader, Floor Supervisor or Trade Supervisor, you have a responsibility to keep your people safe. And not just your team but also subcontractors and visitors.
Those are big safety boots to fill.
We created this safety checklist to help you out. It ticks off the major hazards you might encounter during work, giving you a head start on safety.
Safety requirements are specific to workplaces. This checklist is designed to prompt your thinking about safety. It does not replace regular safety inspections, communication, or site-specific safety guidelines.
Essential safety checklist for managers
Hazard detection process
Injury risks aren’t always easy to spot. Managers, workers, contractors and visitors should be vigilant about identifying, reporting and managing potential hazards.
- Prioritize hazard removal
- Make safety signage visible
- Clearly mark hazards that cannot be removed
- Watch for slip, trip and fall hazards
- Ensure all personnel are clear on hazard detection and notification processes
- Document all hazards, near-misses and incidents
- Test and tag electrical equipment
- Isolate hazardous materials until proper safe removal procedures can be followed
Working at heights or confined spaces
Falling from heights is one of the most common injury causes across the board. Too many preventable injuries occur because workers are rushed or inattentive to risk.
As a Manager, it’s your job to ensure everyone looks out for each other and that small jobs earn the same attention as big projects.
- Check fall protection equipment
- Check scaffolding and ladders
- Identify confined spaces hazards
- Keep a record of credentials and certifications
- Implement buddy systems and safety processes
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Managers (or the company) are required to provide site-appropriate PPE. This includes everything from high-visibility workwear to safety boots.
Before work starts, check that:
- All workers are wearing the required PPE
- PPE is in good condition
- Spare PPE is available for visitors and in case of damage
- PPE training is up-to-date
Work safety boots are more than essential PPE. They are a productivity tool and safety measure, enabling hardworking people to achieve excellent results safely.
Tool and equipment safety
Proper equipment use and maintenance are essential for preventing accidents. Depending on the environment, equipment hazards can range from small punctures and skin irritations to crushing and vehicle collisions.
- Regularly inspect equipment for defects or damage
- Ensure workers are properly trained and have the proper PPE
- Test and tag all electrical equipment
- Review operating procedures for tools and equipment
- Keep updated Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
- Provide training for workers using hazardous equipment
- Maintain a certification register
- Encourage workers to report defective equipment immediately
Stretching and breaks
Stretching before work and between tasks can prevent injuries and promote whole-body health. Workers should also take regular breaks to recharge, especially during hot days or in strenuous environments.
- Educate workers on the benefits of stretching
- Allocate time and provide demonstrations of proper stretching techniques
- Provide a space for water breaks
- Encourage workers to stretch all muscle groups, not just the sore spots
- Remind line managers to watch for signs of fatigue and mental distress
- Emphasize the importance of working within safe physical limits
Preparing workers for emergencies and conducting regular emergency procedure training can save lives.
- Develop and distribute emergency response plans
- Display evacuation maps and emergency contact numbers
- Conduct regular drills
- Test fire suppression equipment
- Ensure all work areas have a fire warden
- Train employees in basic first aid and CPR
- Ensure first aid kits are accessible and well-stocked
High-quality work boots are an essential PPE item
Good work boots prevent injuries. The best work boots also support whole-body health, reduce fatigue and enable workers to excel.